Proud to be an American!

Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 by Chase in
0


Last night, at about 11:00pm, it was announced that the US Military had successfully lead an attack that ended in the death of Osama bin Laden. This is going to another one of those days where I will never forget where I was when I heard the news. The only other day that stands out like this one was September 11, 2001, the day that the World Trade Centers were attacked and nearly 3,000 innocent Americans were killed by a plan crafted by bin Laden. That day was truly one I will never forget. Sitting in my 5th grade Math class with Ms. Roddy, I remember the principal coming over the PA system telling us what had happened. I went home from school and watched the rest of the day unfold like some horror story. The images and reactions from that day is something that will never leave me. It has now been nearly 10 years since that day. 10 years of the US Military painstakingly searching for the man responsible for these attacks. For years he was somehow able to escape capture and it seemed that we would never find them. But if there is one thing that I know now, it is in the determination and persistence of our military. The men and women of the US armed forces never gave up, and never lost sight of the mission at hand. Their dedication to the mission and years of hard work were finally rewarded yesterday. Seeing this and understanding what took place only affirms my belief and love for the US Military and makes me even prouder to be a part of it now. I am honored to be a part of such a dedicated and loyal profession that will stop at nothing to keep its word to the American public to ensure that we stay safe and enjoy the freedom that we often take for granted. I am proud to be a member of the US Army and a citizen of this great nation.

Being able to share this moment here at West Point with my fellow cadets was also something I will never forget. To see and hear the excitement around the Corps last night was unlike anything I have seen. Between the cheers, the singing, and excitement of the night, it was apparent that we were all extremely proud of our fellow service members and praising their continued hard work and persistence in this on-going battle. We are all eager to go out and serve our country as they are and cannot wait to be a part of such a great and honorable profession.

0 comments: